On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 02:28:52AM +0200, André Warnier wrote:
> Michael Powe wrote:

> >To install mod_jk, I resorted to my good friend Google, and used a
> >tutorial to set up the connector.  In that tutorial, the method used
> >was to create a properties file (workers.properties) which set up the
> >worker `worker1'.
> >I'm installing a clean version of Apache, built from httpd.apache.org
> >sources, in /usr/local in order to get around all the weird (IMO)
> >configuration for the version installed in Ubuntu by default.  At this
> >point, I've fiddled so many things I've lost track of where I'm at.
> >Sometimes, when you can't get something to work, it's best to return
> >to first principles.

> I will not often say this, but I believe your problems may stem from the
> above, and that you would do better by using the pre-packaged versions of
> things (except Tomcat)

> 1) it is hard to judge the correctness of a tutorial found on Google.
> The mod_jk instructions on the mod_jk pages of the Tomcat website are
> pretty good, and they are at least accurate and up-to-date.

True.  One of them was the `quick start for the impatient' on the
mod_jk doc page.

> 2) the standard Apache packages for Debian and Ubuntu are quite good, and a
> lot easier to install and maintain than working everything out from scratch.
> I suggest the following order :
> apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
> (then Tomcat, but for Tomcat, I suggest installing it from the Tomcat site
> distribution)
> apt-get install apache2
> apt-get install libapache2-mod-jk
> (the last 2 work out of the box and take max. 3 minutes altogether)

> Then you just need to add a "workers.properties" file and your JkMount
> mappings, and you'll be up and running in no time.

> The "weird configuration" things you are mentioning for Apache, are quite
> easy to follow once you get over the initial surprise, and are actually a
> clever way to facilitate enabling/disabling modules and virtual hosts.
> I offer to explain summarily, maybe off-list, if you have trouble there.

Well, it can't hurt for me to uninstall/reinstall to get things back
to a clean configuration.

Also, there's more to the weirdness of the Apache installation than
just the module/vh setup.  First, they've arbitrarily renamed some
elements (e.g., replaced `httpd' with `apache2' in various places),
which serves no useful purpose.  Second, `apxs' (renamed to `apxs2')
does not work correctly for compiling and installing my existing
module.  Maybe it works if you create one from scratch, I don't
know. Nor does `apachectl' (renamed to `apache2ctl').  `apache2ctl'
fails sometimes with the weird message `bad user name
${APACHE_RUN_USER}', meaning I take it that this variable is not
properly exported unless you run `/etc/init.d/apache2'.  Which only
takes `start|stop|restart|reload' for arguments.  (And setting the var
in the shell does not work.)  Third, you have files needed for
development/admin work in /etc/apache2, /var/lib/apache2 and
/usr/share/apache2 -- I mean, WTF?

For me, the summary of all that is that I installed the IBM server
into /opt and all the module-related stuff (apxs) and control stuff
(apachectl) just works.  And I'm not giving props to IBM so much as
I'm saying that the design of the installation for Ubuntu was not
intended for usage as a development package.

</rant>

I'll do as you suggest regarding the OOB installation and see where I
get.  I spent most of today working on my module, so at least I have a
feeling of progress.

Thanks.

mp

--
Michael Powe            mich...@trollope.org            Naugatuck CT USA
"I'll carry your books, I'll carry a tune, I'll carry on, carry over,