To make Luther's point more explicit:

Wicket allows you to bundle everything a Wicket component needs (Java code,
HTML, CSS, images, etc.) into a single JAR and drop that JAR into the
WEB-INF/lib directory of any WAR, thereby making the JAR essentially
self-contained and reusable. The benefit this provides is the ability to
truly componentize (or modularize) your web application. You can break a
large project up into modules that become separate JAR Maven projects. Or
you can break out reusable components into separate JAR Maven projects that
get reused in different web applications.

You can't take advantage of that if you put the resources in the root of
WAR.

-Richard