Well, plug-ins, are they compile-time or run-time?  Sounds like compile-time
from your description.

Also, from your description, it sounds that it is more than web-tier.
Remember Wicket is web-tier only.

There are solutions for the server tier for plug-ins. Look att OSGi
http://www.osgi.org and ESB.

/Per