Found it.  Oddly enough, it is the jquery version.

I removed the ResourceReference to JQUERY in MenuBar.java and stuck the
script directly into the <head> tag of TestMenu.html :

<script type="text/javascript" src="
http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.2.6/jquery.min.js";></script>

I also removed the -4px hack in the css.  Works in my IE6 now without the
hack or the holly hack for that matter.