Hi,

this is a topic every web developer is facing currently.

I think because Wicket uses HTML5 and Java you can combine JS Frameworks with
many of the features of Wicket. Example: Because you have a java backend you
can build a rest API with wicket-rest-annotations and configure your Angular JS
to work with it - if you have a page change you could use Wicket components and
even the pages could be served with Wicket containing the Angular content.

There are some things I want to point out:

Java Frameworks:
* Compiling / JUnit tests (with WicketTester) let you know if you break
something - in my opinion this is currently working better as
JavaScript-Testing with no compilation
* You have a better IDE support for the Java Part than for JavaScript - all the
time I spoke to JS developer they all the time give me a complete different
tool setup they use which at least do not cover the whole stuff needed to
ensure alle facets if you refactor something (this gets better with TypeScript
which also Angular decided to use)
* NPM itself does not guarantee that the versions you are using of a released
module are the same all the time - you have to use additional plugins like
Shrinkwrap to do so - this is way better in maven!
* You don't have to build up the interaction client<>server yourself (Wicket
and others) this is done by the framework for you - with Angular you have to
handle every REST call yourself

JavaScript Frameworks:
* You don't need a VM to run it just a simple browser and the library
* A big community of developers, because every frontend developer used
JavaScript before can build up the presentations layer.
* Less overhead on server side (memory consumption)

As you can see there are advantages and disadvantages on both sides, but as I
mentioned - if you want to you can combine them, but you have to evaluate which
fits the best to your requirement.

kind regards

Tobias