Interesting Answer Peter, but I will through a bit of a loop into this.

1.  User account "bruce", no .qmail-bruce file.
        - two messages are delivered to bruce when addressed to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

2.  User account "bruce", with .qmail-bruce file.
        - one message is delivered to bruce when addressed to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

So, unless I am missing something (in which case, please point me to where)
I do not see why the above example should go to the .qmail-default file.

In the event that the message does go to the default file, I do want both.
I want the bounce to go back AND a copy to be forwarded to the postmaster.

I performed an intersting test.   I deleted ALL .qmail-* files, including
the .qmail-default and the email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] just got delivered
once.

So, my theory is that creating a .qmail-default file in a virtual domain,
requires every user to have a .qmail-(user) file.