On Thursday, July  7 at 09:18 PM, quoth [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
I was told to disable spamassasin for out going emails. (good point but how?)

Depends on how you have it all set up. I understand you use qmail-scanner? Basically, you want to unset QMAILQUEUE whenever RELAYCLIENT is set. The easiest way is to add a shell script to your run file. The basic run file looks like this:

   tcpserver ${TCPSERVER_OPTIONS} qmail-smtpd

So change it to:

   tcpserver ${TCPSERVER_OPTIONS} nospamforrelay.sh qmail-smtpd

Where nospamforrelay.sh is a shell script that looks like this:

   #!/bin/sh
   test "`printenv | grep RELAYCLIENT`" && unset QMAILQUEUE
   exec $*

Or disable it all together (can't, this IP was identified and a prime spam source when MS Exchange was running the email (go figure, someone hacked Exchange 2003).

What's that got to do with spam filtering for outgoing email?

I can find no indication that I am scanning outgoing email at all, in the Qmail scanner.

Because that's not qmail-scanner's purview. Check out The Big Qmail Picture to familiarize yourself with how things work (http://www.nrg4u.com/). Qmail-scanner gets stuck between qmail-smtpd and qmail-queue, depending on the contents of the QMAILQUEUE environment variable.

How do I find/verify and disable?

Does outbound email get tagged with X-Spam-Status headers? If so, then you're scanning them unnecessarily. If not, then you're all set.

What are the key apps I should launch to see what or who has control in qmail issues and why (i am aware of the obvious /var/log/.... and netstat and ps and the other very basics.)

vi /service/qmail-smtpd/run

;)

~Kyle
--
As we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of others we should be glad of an Opportunity to serve others by any Invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
                                                   -- Benjamin Franklin