De: Bill Wichers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Enviado el: Martes, 04 de Octubre de 2005 17:27
Para: vchkpw@inter7.com
Asunto: [vchkpw] Mail system configuration recommendations

I'm probably going to have to scale our mail system (not really just a mail
"server" anymore :-) a bunch in the coming months, and am looking to get any
advice from others that are running largish mail systems.

Right now I have several inbound MX boxes that do spam/virus filtering and
accept mail from the outside world. They all deliver to one beefy server
with a big RAID that stores the mail (we call it the mailstore server), and
handles POP3/IMAP connections from users. There is a seperate webmail server
running squirrelmail, and another server with a fast RAID 10 that does all
the outbound SMTP and takes messages in from users and bounces from the
other servers.

The whole thing is qmail/vpopmail based, with spamassassin and clamav on the
inbound MXes. Right now we're planning on splitting out the MySQL stuff
(right now that runs on the mailstore server) onto 2 or more MySQL-only
servers since they handle a lot of queries for vpopmail (MySQL backend),
squirrelmail (user prefs), and spamassassin (user prefs).

We'd like to be able to scale the system with minimal use of hardware load
balancers due to cost. Most of the examples I see out there use a big server
running NFS and several smaller servers that handle user queries for
POP/IMAP/etc., but it seems like that would have some issues keeping
sessions with authentication, and most of the examples are out of date.
Our inbound works great -- we can just add more MX servers, but I'm
concerned about the POP3 and IMAP connections, and possibly the outbound
SMTP if we need more than one server.

Does anyone have some expierience to share or maybe a link to some newer
example info?

     -Bill

Waveform Technology
Systems Engineer