Hi Joshua,

Thanks for the reply.

The majority of my users are using pop3 - however I have a handful of senior execs that need/want to use imap (this is tied to our webmail & wapmail interfaces). This cutomer was an existing user of qmail/vpopmail/courier (installed in 2003) however we just recently went through a major upgrade. The old system worked quite well (with open-smtp) for both pop3 and imap users.

It appears from Micheal Bowe's reply that courier-imap v4.xx no longer supports this (but apparentl;y 3.0.8 does) - so I guess I will need to try and install the older version of courier-imap - unless I can find a diif but easy solution.

Rgds. Otto.

Joshua Megerman wrote:
Hi Micheal,

Thanks for the reply. Indeed, I did use the "--with-authvchkpw
--without-authdaemon" but it made no difference.

If I understand your email correctly, since I'm using courier-imap 4.1.2
it is impossible for imap authentication to update the open-smtp file??
Hence it is IMPOSSIBLE for any roaming users to send mail?? So what's
the solution (if any) - is it possible that ALL users who use
courier-imap 4++ are unable to send email and this is acceptable to
them?? Am I missing something??

The solution is simple - use SMTP-AUTH instead of imap-before-smtp.  If
they can authenticate via IMAP, using SMTP-AUTH-patched qmail can also use
vchkpw to authenticate against the vpopmail database.  I understand the
desire to make things easy for the users by letting them use
imap-before-smtp, but it's really not the best way to do things these
days...  If you really, truely must use imap-before-smtp, use a different
IMAP server.

Josh