Matt Brookings wrote:

Eric Shubert wrote:
I'm working on bringing vpopmail-toaster (part of the
http://www.qmailtoaster.com suite) up to the current vpopmail, while at
the same time adding ldap support (vpopmail-toaster presently uses mysql
exclusively, at vertion 5.4.17). The plan is to allow for either mysql
or ldap as the backend, with a migration path (conversion script) for
going from mysql to ldap.

What would you recommend as an upgrade path? Get to 5.5 before adding
ldap, or add ldap before jumping to 5.5? Your input about considerations
either way will be appreciated.

I'm hoping to get the LDAP patch completely updated and mostly re-written
for stable 5.5.  We've established some OIDs for this purpose.  You may
want to wait on the LDAP support.  Fortunately, 5.5 supports authentication
modules, rather than compiling them in, so your toaster can easily support
any authentication backend without any changes to the main configuration.

One other thing to keep in mind, is that 5.5 is a development version, and
while I'd love to see more people using it, and thus providing more feedback
about issues, it's worth repeating that it is a development version at this
time.
- --
/*
    Matt Brookings <m...@inter7.com>       GnuPG Key FAE0672C
    Software developer                     Systems technician
    Inter7 Internet Technologies, Inc.     (815)776-9465
*/

I'm inclined to wait for 5.5, especially since we'll be needing to upgrade to qmailadmin along with it. Are there any other packages that will be associated with 5.5?

Do I understand correctly that you will not be getting to the LDAP portion of of 5.5 until the base part is stable?

I don't want to pin you down to a time, but what timeframe do you 'feel' 5.5 be stable? Closer to 2 months or 6 (or more)? Will that be with or w/out LDAP?

FYI, I'll have more resources available for testing with LDAP than without, if that makes any difference. I'm guessing that there aren't many ldap users out there.

--
-Eric 'shubes'

!DSPAM:4a8b172e32714075815604!