Success!  I finally found the problem.  I'm not sure where I picked it up, but
for the custom files I created, I had them wrapped with an 'if' conditional
like this:

if(! dojo._hasResource["vcldojo.HoverTooltip"]) {
dojo._hasResource["vcldojo.HoverTooltip"] = true;

}

Looking at current documentation on creating custom widgets does not mention
this part.  When I removed the conditional, everything worked as expected.

Josh

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu