Good explanation Aaron.

Regarding the benefits of graduating -- I don't know if there are any
tangible benefits but in my opinion there are some intangible
benefits:
- The Apache brand is pretty well-known and prestigious.  They don't
accept just any old open-source project as an official project, let
alone as a podling.  We will be in very good company with the other
ASF projects.
- Graduating and becoming a top-level project will help promote Apache
VCL.  I'm hopeful that VCL adoption and the growth of our development
community will accelerate.
- We don't have to pack up and find a new home elsewhere :)

Graduating will not and should not change the way VCL is used or how
the community operates.  Upon successful graduation, there are some
administrative tasks that need to be done but the day-to-day community
activity shouldn't change.  I think this is the main point for the
whole process.  Once the community demonstrates that it is diverse,
viable, and aligned with the ASF philosophy and policies, it graduates
and continues to operate in the same manner.

-Andy