You could create an ESXi.pm OS module.  It would inherit from Linux.pm
since some of the Linux subroutines will work under ESXi.  The module
would reside at:
lib/VCL/Module/OS/Linux/ESXi.pm

Entries would have to be added to the module and OS tables in the
database.  Set your image.OSid value to the new value you enter in the
OS table.

Some of the subroutines in Linux.pm already work as you have noticed.
I changed a few of them a while back to work with ESXi of them to
which are called by the VMware.pm provisioning module when SSH is used
to control the VM host.  For the ones which don't work, you would
define subroutines in ESXi.pm to override the ones in Linux.pm or
OS.pm such as create_user.

For the networking problems, you would probably define a post_load
subroutine in ESXi.pm which performs operations necessary to configure
the virtual switches appropriately such as running esxcfg-vswitch and
esxcfg-vmknic.

This would be very useful for us at NCSU.  I would be happy to help
get this added.

-Andy