Very, very strange.  The problem certainly exists using vdr-1.5.2,
mplayer-nogui 1:1.0-rc1svn20070501-0.1, mp3/mplayer plugin version
0.9.15, and mplayer.sh version 0.8.7..  The problem has always existed
here and I've used every version of all those starting nearly 4 years
ago.  Patrick's explanation makes sense to me and I don't see how the
problem could be resolved otherwise...?

I also have a single FF card setup and know about the problem you speak of
with mplayer causing VDR to crash when a timers goes off while mplayer is in
use.  Could you try building current svn of mplayer with current HG dvb
drivers and let us know if you still have the problem?  This problem seems
to have disappeared for me after updating mplayer a few weeks ago.  It is
not reproducable for me every time.. only sometimes.

Regards.