Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> On 08/18/07 12:29, Udo Richter wrote:
>> To add another report, I had some trouble to pick anything but English
>> at first. After some fiddling and trying the various hints, here's what
>> was missing for me:
>>
>>  [...]
>>
>> ... and now it works. Is there a way to make VDR less picky about what
>> de_DE language variant is installed?
>
> Are you sure it's VDR who is picky? Isn't setlocale a little "dumb" here?

In the end, this isn't really important. What matters is that you have
to explain lots of users that they need to reconfigure their OS language
from german to german in order to pick german as language manually
inside VDR.

> Please try the patch I have posted yesterday under "improving
> i18n-to-gettext.pl"
> (vdr-1.5.7-i18n-matchlocale.diff)?

Seems to make no difference. Probably because setlocale only accepts the
full "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" string.

There must be some way how this is supposed to work. Even if my locale
is set to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and there's no pure de_DE in locale -a, almost all
distribution' locales are in /usr/share/locale/de/, and they work. There
must be some mapping from [EMAIL PROTECTED] down to de_DE and de.

Cheers,

Udo