Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> On 08/18/07 21:46, Anssi Hannula wrote:
>> Udo Richter wrote:

>>> In the end, this isn't really important. What matters is that you have
>>> to explain lots of users that they need to reconfigure their OS language
>>> from german to german in order to pick german as language manually
>>> inside VDR.

>>> Seems to make no difference. Probably because setlocale only accepts the
>>> full "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" string.
>>>
>>> There must be some way how this is supposed to work. Even if my locale
>>> is set to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and there's no pure de_DE in locale -a, almost
>>> all
>>> distribution' locales are in /usr/share/locale/de/, and they work. There
>>> must be some mapping from [EMAIL PROTECTED] down to de_DE and de.
>> Yes, but the other applications are not listing locales nor using
>> setlocale to change locale to those during runtime, which is the problem
>> here. If there was another app that does it, it could be interesting to
>> see how it manages that. I don't know other way than to use the "locale
>> -a" way, i.e. traverse /usr/share/locale and parse locale.alias.
>
> Maybe I should have stayed with the old tI18nPhrase method. At least
> that worked everywhere out of the box...
>
> VDR's locale files are named like "de_DE" (language_COUNTRY).
> There's no "@euro" or other stuff added to the names. VDR needs to
> know which files it actually has at its disposal, in order to
> present to the user a list of all available languages. It makes
> no sense to present a language that in the end isn't available.
>
> Copying the *.mo files into /usr/share/locale/... could be done.
> VDR would then have to loop through all directories in /usr/share/locale
> and test each one for the presence of a "vdr.mo" file, as in
>
> /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/vdr.mo
>
> and use the directory name it finds ("de" in this case) as the value
> in its call to setlocale().

Unfortunately the "de" might not be a valid locale for setlocale(), as
in Udo's case; only [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED] are, even if the
files from /de/ are used. I think the valid locales can be identified by
having a LC_IDENTIFICATION file in the locale directory, containing the
locale identification data (printed by "locale -a -v"), or if they are
contained in /usr/share/locale.alias.

Note that apparently Matthias Schwarzott's system (other thread) has the
LC_IDENTIFICATION file in /usr/lib/locale instead of /usr/share/locale.

> The only problem I see is: how to find out what directories to copy
> VDR's *.mo files into? For example, VDR's German text file is named
> "./locale/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES/vdr.mo", but should it go into
> /usr/share/locale/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES/vdr.mo or
> /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/vdr.mo or even
> /usr/share/locale/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/LC_MESSAGES/vdr.mo?
> This decision clearly would have to be made at install time.

/de/, as with other programs. If there will be additional
territory-specific de translations of VDR, they will go to de_XX. The
translations from /de/ are always used when locale is
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> And if all programs must have their texts in /usr/share/locale/..., why
> is there even a bindtextdomain() function?

So that the locales can be installed into another directory/prefix, like
inside the source tree.

> So, to sum things up: I might go along with copying VDR's *.mo files
> into /usr/share/locale/... (and prefix the plugin files with "vdr-" or
> something alike), if somebody can come up with a Makefile "install-i18n"
> target
> that copies VDR's files from $(LOCALEDIR) to the proper places under
> /usr/share/locale/...
 >
> Oh, and of course the whole thing must still work locally in ./locale ;-)

Well, changing the locale directory does not really change this issue at
all.

I guess the easiest and most compatible thing to do now would be to
traverse /usr/share/locale dir and if $LOCDIR/xx/LC_MESSAGES/vdr.mo
exists, try the names of all existing /usr/share/locale/xx*/ directories
as parameter for setlocale(). ($LOCDIR being the VDR localedir, be that
/usr/share/locale, /usr/share/vdr/locale, /home/anssi/vdr-1.5.7/locale,
or whatever).

--
Anssi Hannula