Personally I like the simplicity of the VFB list as it exists now. I say
that as I also frequent half a dozen forums every day and it gets hard to
keep up with. Running a forum takes money, time and resources, and those
three things are why a lot of web sites go the way of the Dodo. Just look at
the now defunct VFB web site and forum. Being a web and database developer,
I have stood up several forums and have seen the problems from both sides of
the fence. My TU chapter had gone through two different forum platforms that
were not backwards compatible. All data was lost each change. We finally had
to move servers and for practical purposes had to upgrade to yet another
forum software once again. That shook loose a lot of frequent forum members,
and now it barely has a pulse. In fact, since I stood up that forum, the
software had gone through a major version upgrade and discontinued all
support for the legacy version. I had to jump through hoops and navigate
through all the code to find what I needed to move all the old posts and
user accounts intact. Anything short of that would have resulted
in abandonment of the whole thing. In this case, I don't think changing the
VFB list to a forum would constitute a change of keeping with the times. If
that were the case, the television would have killed the radio, and the
Internet killed both. As long as email is a viable tool for communication,
people will keep using it.

The Google Groups is free. It is fairly easy to maintain. And most
importantly it works. There are many excellent and high volume fly tying
forums already in existence. I frequent Flytyingforum.com and its sister
forums daily and quite frankly I think it would be hard to compete with
that.

Scott Bearden