From: Anthony Spezio <bambot...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VFB] Automatic fly reels
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Date: Thursday, August 19, 2010, 11:35 AM

When retrieving the line and coming to the end ,especially when the leader
comes through the tip top. The line speeds up enough to form a loop that wraps
on the tip of the rod and "snap" the tip off. In the bamboo and early glass
days, it was something that happened a lot when retrieving  the line at the end
of the fishing day, it would be retrieved fast without thinking . You had to
just "tap" the lever when retrieving the line so that it would come in slow.
These reels were nutritious for jambing up if any dirt got onto them. If they
did, the line could not be wrapped on the spool. When taking them apart to
clean them, the retrieve spring would come out and "bite" you if you were not
careful.. I have taken several apart and getting the spring back was a chore.
Tony