i like the custom ipodder concept.
if fireant takes my suggestion/feature request to make it dynamically branded based on which feed you are looking at (channel logo would appear that links home to site), then i'd be just as happy.
they can also offer fully branded interfaces for corporations... including custom menus, logos, integrated browser,directory and other server side pages, preloaded feeds, colors and so on.

i think this may be the only way to make money besides offering support.
soon, these apps are going to be a dime a dozen.... and it may even be cheap for corporations to build themselves if the proper frameworks are available, like the java based openvision app.
not to mention your web browser will have all this stuff integrated soon enough as well.

sull

On 9/8/05, Pete Prodoehl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Joshua Kinberg wrote:
>>Which to me would mean I can put FireANT on a CD I gave away, or put it
>>on a web site for people to download, as long as I didn't sell the CD or
>>charge for the download. It also suggests I could make no changes to it
>>in doing so, like brand it with my own look/feel/etc.
>
> Not without getting permission... or a separate license.

Right, there's always the option of getting a different license. Some
open-source companies do this, such as MySQL. I always thought that was
one of the ideas behind CC, was that there was a default license, and if
you wanted a different one, you could deal with the creator.

>>I don't know if the FireANT guys have thought of this, but the iPodder
>>Lemon guys have done some very interesting things regarding selling
>>custom versions of their app <URL:http://www.ipodderlemonstore.com/>
>>either with pre-loaded subscription lists, or with custom graphics, etc.
>>Note they also still give away the GPL'd version, but they got creative
>>in finding a way to make money from it as well.
>

> Yep, I know about it. Not sure if they've actually made any money
> doing this. There is also no stopping anyone else from doing this
> since the software is GPL. I could open my own iPodderLemonStore and
> sell their software and they wouldn't see a dime for their efforts.
> So, there are definite limits on how successful this very approach
> would be. If it were sucessful, it would be poached.

I've heard from one of the iPodder developers that they were doing ok
with the store, and did really well when they did the custom iPodder
version for the House of Wax movie. I even talked about the fact that I
could just customize my version with a playlist and graphics, and was
advised to "go for it." You certainly could clone what they are doing,
but you'd be looking at a huge investment of time to do so, which might
offset any commercial gain you get from it. Also, you seem to be
equating "successful" with "making money" which isn't to say you
shouldn't, but too many people do, IMO...

Releasing something as open-source generally means you make the source
code available upon request. You can sell the binaries, sell support,
sell CD's, whatever. You don't even have to provide instructions on how
to build the software, just make the code available if someone who has
the application asks for it.

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/