Many thanks for your clarifications so far :)

Got a few remaining complications though, confusing things that it
would be lovely for you to fix when theres a convenient moment:

The readme file for the fireant download mac version on your website,
and it still says '• ANT is freeware. It will be open source.'

The creative commons licence on the fireant site is one that says
derivatives are permitted. Id recommend you also make reference to
this license somewhere other than at the bottom of the site. Maybe you
already have and I just didnt spot it.

As far as I can tell theres no restrictions on the actual use of the
program except for the disclaimer about you not being liable for
damages etc.

Can anybody knowledgeable in license issues tell me whether the use of
the copyright symbol on the 'about fireant' screen in mac version
1.0b3, contradicts in any way any of the other licensing stuff?

To apply that point more generally, if I use a creative commons
license for my videoblog, and I also put a copyright message on a
title in the videoblog, is it a license mess and invalid combination?

I must seem like the worlds greatest pedant, but I dont think
licensing stuff is that useful unless its unambiguous.

Steve of Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Sorry Andreas... this is out of context.
>
> Yes, the use cases you describe are correct.
>
> What is not legit is distributing modifications of the software
> (derivatives) in order to put your own look and feel on it
> (re-branding) without permission.
>
> Hope this clarifies our current license structure.
>
> -Josh

> > > Not without getting permission... or a separate license.
> >
> > What? If FireANT is licensed under the by-nc-nd license I am free to
> > (among other things) copy and distribute the work
non-commercially. If you
> > don't want people doing that change the license. If you feel that the
> > by-nc-nd license does not give me that right you might want to
re-read the
> > license text...
> >
> > Under the by-nc-nd it is perfectly legit for me to make a copy and
start
> > offering downloads free of charge - or to hand out cds with
FireANT to all