wouldn't it be nice if a movie would ping the creator after it had been viewed on the network!

On 11/12/05, David Meade < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 11/12/05, andrew michael baron < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
David, you are still missing some crucial background info regarding the reports that you are generating. While its true, everyone has a unique IP at a certain time and those IPs can rotate, its a very regular case to have the ISP "REPORT" an entire range of IPs as a single IP. For instance, out of over 100,000 page views in one day, 3% or over 3000 people of our audience, are reported to come from a single IP. There are several ISP that do this. Our biggest counts come in at 3%, 2% and many 1%'s.

Also, for example, one day of traffic that comes to mind involved an interview with Hoder from Iran. On that day, the greatest amount of traffic came from a single proxy IP that was likely being used by Iranians. Everyone was shown to come from a single IP.

No I'm not really Andrew.  My reports arent designed to produce the data you seem to think I've claimed they do.  They provide exactly what they were intended to provide - quite well.

Yes, I know that IPs can hide in groups.  (I do networking for a living ... I'm well versed in this.)  But let me reiterate what I've said several times already.  I'm not basing my numbers soley on IP address.  And in some cases I'm very aware that I may be grouping a few veiwers together ... as I've said, I'm (intentionaly) overly restrictive on my count.  I've never claimed to be generating a percision count ... its an estimation.

My only point was "total number of file downloads" does not equal "total number of subscribers" any more than "total number of IP addresses".  It may be valuable data to have for doing serious calculations for shows like RB ... but a simple esitmation of subscribers doesnt need to know how many views have taken place ... only how many people are checking for updates.

Yes I may group some together, but until the world moves to ipv6 we're all gonna have that problem.  I dont have the audiance of RB, I'm not going to be grouping more than 2-3 viewers behind an IP ... and I've taken some measures to try and account for that in the logic I've written in to my system.  Is it perfect ... no ...but there isn't a way to get a perfect number ... thats why ALL of these methods are called "estimates" or "appoximate count".

I've not tried to claim I have an exacting number, or that I have somehow overcome the issues involved in NAT'd IP addersses or that can generate the statistics you seem to be wanting. I only claim that on my website I have a system that works pretty dang well.  I know it does, because I can go in and look at all the records.

When thousands and thousands of Iranians start visiting DavidMeade.com I may have a problem ... but that's just not likely to ever happen.  For most vloggers a 'fairly accurate' count of subscribers is enough ... and that can be accomplished without knowing the actualy views on a given file or how many Iranians are sitting behind any given proxy.  :-P

- Dave
--
http://www.DavidMeade.com

Individual Fireant Use