I want Porsche looks and performance, with the ease of maintenance of a Japanese automobile and the price of a Geo Metro, think that will work out for me? :)

to shift the metaphor to food.... yes, it would work for you.  food co-ops are great examples of pooling resources to get more quantity and quality.  their are also self-sustaining communities based around these concepts.