Its a good strategy but Im not sure whether this option gives you
mpeg4 files or h264 files? In the past it was possible to get a mpeg4
file that works on both the ipod and PSP, but h264 more problematic
(because PSP uses h264 main profile and ipod uses baseline h264 profile).

ffmpegX recently added PSP h264 support which I havent tried yet,
maybe it works on an ipod too but Id guess not.

Steve of Elbows