No its not a joke. I dont know why it didnt work for you, nor why you
are so quick to assume that things that dont work for you must be a
cruel joke.

Maybe you found a bug or it somehow didnt like your source footage for
some reason. Anyway I will continue to reccomend isquint because its
free and updated quite regularily. Even if you dont use it, the
website can be useful for learning about any new ipod bugs etc. Most
of these things like handbrake, ffmpegx, isquint are all using the
same encoders, just different User interface sending slightly
different encoding options to the encoder. File formats that dont work
on one may work on another, encoding speeds may vary, etc, I generally
recommend people who arent 100% sorted using quicktime, investigate
these options every 3-6 months to see if they could be saving
thmselves lots of encoding time or what else is new. These apps also
help put pressure on Apple to speed up their own h264 encoding, as
happened in recent versions of quicktime/itunes.

If you enjoy trying different options then I suggest maybe having a go
with the newest test version of isquint, as they have fixed some audio
sync issues and other sutff, who knows it may fix your problem. Or
just stick with the handbrake option you are used to. Just forgive me
for the fact that if you give the handbrake options as best advise to
people on this list, I feel the need to offer alternative advise as
well, due to the handbrake option not being the quickest. If it works
for you then cool, and it certainly will get round any input file
format compatibility issues, its just that because it adds
intermediate steps that take time, its not the best advise for
everyone. I see it as a last resort if ffmpegx, isquint or quicktime
dont do what people need. Its not wrong for you to offer it as advise,
 I just cant help advising that handbrake isnt the quickest/best
option for most as its strength is in converting content from DVDs.

Cheers

Steve of Elbows