On 17 Nov 2006, at 23:40, Steve Watkins wrote:

> Also quite a number of them seemed to be English or British, and I
> wonder if they could of been influenced by the fact that we've had
> quite a few TV shows over the years that have featured 'ordinary
> people' who are given a videocamera and make a video diary. Obviously
> television imposes more constraints, but the end results often had a
> simialr sort of intensely personal, intimate, connection between
> viewer and the person pouring out their soul to the lens. I do not
> know how much any UK TV versions of such things could of influenced
> people really, and I dont know whether there have been many
> widel-watched TV equivalents in the USA over the years, so I dunno how
> wrong I am, just rambling really.

I am thinking that this whole concept is a little behind over here,
so much so that it is only just recently that Youtube has been
mentioned on Mainstream TV and Radio and it seems any kid with a
mobile phone and computer can access myspace, there is also the time
element over here, it is still really uncool to spend a lot of time
in front of the internet rather than being in front of the TV.  Also
video blogging over here, ie putting video onto a site, requires that
the person has a super inflated ego, something that is not so
British, we being the reserved sort.  And you are right, over here
Reality TV rules, top shows include BIg Brother, I'm a Celebrity Get
Me Out Of Here, Wife Swap etc.  So there must be some sort of
coalition between the two.  However some news in, Channel 5 news is
now asking for Your News, a segment for the end of the evening news
where budding journo's with video cams or mobiles can shoot a piece
of video informing of some local news to them, these are exciting
times for us British, pity no one will read this or comment.

Paul Knight