--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kinberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > frankly, I believe the state of 'communities' is crap.
>
> Can you explain this statement further? What is 'crap' about the state
> of 'communities'?

Silos, isolationism, mis-labelling-- whether intentional or by accident.

"Blogosphere" for example, term supposed to mean 'bloggers everywhere' /me
dances
through meadow.
Possible reality: Blogosphere = Blogger/Tech Blogosphere

"Podcast Listeners" should be ALL
Possible reality: Podcast Listeners = Other podcasters who listen (i think user
conferences
when most of the people aren't plain users, but creator-users, ie., us. Again.
Do your
myspace readers and listeners and viewers show up at these things? Uhm,
thinkin' 'no' ?

"Videoblog Community" should be ALL including YouTubers, MySpacers, people who
might
not be aware of DV, RSS, etc
Possible reality: Videoblog Community = This Yahoo Group (The Vloggies jumps
right out
at me one this one)

The fractured communities also. All the sites that have 'community' features
that slurp in
because the technical underpinings allows it; requiring a content creator to
have to go
there and manage. A billion directories that play the portal game. "Look how
full featured
we are"... How many places can your audio and video exist that are 'communities
for
listeners or viewers', and yet, populated with ourselves, who, while true we
are listeners
and viewers of our own stuff, there are multiple levels of consumer, active,
active/passive,
full participatory--- epsilon construct kinda stuff.

Even in Second Life, the two major podcast presences (one is friend, one is
foe) built silos
that is populated by, zOMG, PODCASTERS, overwhelmingly moreso than the general
public. It's like the midway at the carnival. A LOT of us 'three balls for a
dollar' types.

Networks. Talkin' about themselves, when it should be about the show or content.
More people know about BoingBoing than Federated Media.-- Good
Throw in the Pod* networks, you might now a couple major shows, but hear about
the
network more-- Bad
Heh, I got into the TV show LOST, way after everyone. I couldn't tell you what
network it
was on, cuz well, it's not about them, it's about LOST. Like the Sopranos. HBO,
great, I can
tune my TiVO, but it's allll about Tony, baby.

And check this. Vsocial. If you go to mefeedia and look at the directory, you
have these
various aggregate sites. The vsocial one jumped out at me:

"vSocial is a video clip sharing community that is designed to make it
"brain-dead easy" to
upload, view and share your favorite video clips. In addition, we provide
really great web
based tools that enable users to actually "do something" with the video on
their favorite
community sites, blogs and within video iPods."

Look at the order in which vSocial is promoted. Producers first, and 'in
addition' doing
something with video, like what, I dunno, *watching* maybe?

In the context of sites that have video, video to be viewed, lots of it--- the
smallest
fraction of the population-- the creators-- is what's promoted first.

YouTube, while kinda clunky, focuses attention on the video; they have
'community'
features; the workflow shows that people can view it independent of the site
(embedding
etc), and you can follow the weird Video link in IM---> to peer --> View -->
feedback
loop back to sender of IM, not the creator; also outside of the community.
However
YouTube has an active community on their own site; most do.

I remember a time that YouTube was looked down upon by this group-- me
included--
for ay number of reasons-- didn't follow the RSS spec, or people didn't like
flash, or all
this tech stuff that may or may not actually matter.

Where are all the skate and snowboard videos living, the ones that have been
around for
years on the web? Could they be nominated if we don't know about them because
they are
outside our inner circle. We talk about ourselves to ourselves, and I think
that creates this
false sense of community. It's a fine line between early adopters meeting
technological
tutorials and the vital need for this as a resource for videomakers... does
that make it a
true representation of Videblogging?

It's perhaps at this point where 'community' becomes 'society'. And that might
make us
resistant to change or stagnant, because we don't control absolute awareness of
what is
out there.

--
Eegads, that's long winded, but hey, that's half my notes for Podcamp hehe, so
I suppose

ER