--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Blogosphere" for example, term supposed to mean 'bloggers everywhere' /me
> dances
> through meadow.
> Possible reality: Blogosphere = Blogger/Tech Blogosphere
>
> "Podcast Listeners" should be ALL
> Possible reality: Podcast Listeners = Other podcasters who listen (i think
> user
conferences
> when most of the people aren't plain users, but creator-users, ie., us.
> Again. Do your
> myspace readers and listeners and viewers show up at these things? Uhm,
> thinkin' 'no' ?
>
> "Videoblog Community" should be ALL including YouTubers, MySpacers, people
> who
might
> not be aware of DV, RSS, etc
> Possible reality: Videoblog Community = This Yahoo Group (The Vloggies jumps
> right
out
> at me one this one)

Now that you mention The Vloggies, how come http://vloggiessf.com was never
updated
with A) the winners, and B) any coverage of the event, whatsoever?

--------

I think all of the points that you make are very good ones and valid ones.
What are you
suggesting, though?  Do you have a "solution" to this?  Are you looking for a
solution, or
only trying to spark awareness with this thread?

In any situation, you're going to have groups or communities or cliques or 'the
elite'.
While I agree, in essence, with what you seem to be saying, which is that
people with zero
technical videomaking skills or who only videoblog from their bedrooms on their
webcams
are looked over when it comes to being recognized as 'actual' videobloggers or
'serious'
videobloggers, lines are always going to be drawn.  There are people on YouTube
that
aren't aware of people on MySpace.  There are people on Match.com that aren't
aware of
people on Yahoo Personals.  There are people on Revver that aren't aware of
people on
Brightcove...  More 'communities' are created every day, leading to more people
being
involved in general, but less awareness by one particular community about the
overall
population.

In the USA, we have football.  If you're good at football as a kid, you might
get to play on
the HS team.  After that, you might get to play college ball.  You might make
it after that
to the NFL.  If you make it to the Super Bowl in the NFL, you might be crowned
WORLD
CHAMPION of football.  The best in the entire world! :D   Did you compete
against
everyone in the entire world?  no.  Did you compete against football players in
China?  no.
The NFL exists in the USA.  There's the CFL! :)  Why don't they have the NFL
champions
play against the CFL champions?  Then against the Brazilian football champions?
:D  On
that note, we're the only ones that call football football.  Everyone else
calls 'soccer'
football.  Until there's a way to include everyone in the world in something,
there are going
to be groups that take liberties and call themselves the best in the world at
what they do.
Most of the time, anyone else would be hard-pressed to prove them wrong. :)

In the case of "video on the net" or whatever one cares to call it, there are
different styles
and motivations for each group of videos.  There are people that tell their
life stories to
the webcam in their bedroom.  There are people that report about what someone
else did.
There are people that go out and do things and videotape them.  There are
people that do
their videos in one take and others that script and create props and act in and
edit their
videos.  Categories are necessary in order to avoid comparing apples and
oranges.  You
don't want to compare Galacticast to Beachwalks.TV, because they don't express
themselves through video the same way.  Their styles AND motivations are
different.
OTOH, how far are you suggesting that someone search for videos in the "Science
Fiction
Comedy" or "Inspirational" categories?  Should someone compile a list of all
the
'communities' they can find that do "video on the web", and make sure to
advertise
contests to everyone available?

> Where are all the skate and snowboard videos living, the ones that have been
> around for
> years on the web? Could they be nominated if we don't know about them because
> they
are
> outside our inner circle. We talk about ourselves to ourselves, and I think
> that creates
this
> false sense of community.

Another good point... about people being nominated from outside the circle, but
I think
the sense of community is not "false".  This is CLEARLY a community.  It might
just be a
much smaller community than people think it is.  It's a global community in a
geographical
sense, but not in the sense of being all-inclusive, for the reasons you stated
yourself.
There are many communities and many "inner circles" all over the place.  The
only reason I
even heard of Lonelygirl15 is that someone brought her videoblog up as an
example of a
corporate hoax.  It's not YouTube's job to get everyone outside the YouTube
community
up to speed.  They have their own inner circles and senses of community.

> Eegads, that's long winded, but hey, that's half my notes for Podcamp hehe,
> so I
suppose
> we can figure out how to break out of our inwardness on a global scale:
> blogs, podcasts,
> videoblogs, metaverses, etc. :-)

With the benefit being.......?  Is the point of this thread to benefit those
that are here on
this list or those that are not here on this list?  Are you saying the inner
circle would
benefit from outside influence, or people outside the circle would benefit from
being
somehow sought out and included in the circle?

--
Bill C.
http://ReelSolid.TV