Hopefully, if the youtube crowd remains a diverse thing, that wont
happen. There will always be new people appearing and being in that
'hi, here i am' phase. And I doubt a majority of those people will
necessarily go on to other things, they will continue to evolve as
people but maybe without online video. Certainly theres only room for
so many celebrities, cross-overs to MSM or even people who are
regularily interviewd by MSM.

I agree it is exactly what people had hoped for, in that there are now
enough easy to use tools, and ever increasing public awareness, of how
easy this stuff can be done if they already have a computer etc for
other purposes. There will be a need for people to continue to push
the barriers of entry down, but things have certainly reached some
sort of breaking point, even if a lot of this is down to sheer
awareness of youtube existing, and Im sure the myspace phenomenon
plays a part.

Whatever else the internet is or isnt, it can certainly help with
lonliness of many kinds, though as an ubernerd who is socially
awkward, I can report that its no replacement for a fully rounded
life, but its better than an empty void. Stating the obvious I am, but
I especially like it when the internet can help people who have
barriers against other sorts of social interaction, whether it be due
to old age or other physical or mind limitations.

I question whether its been 20-months, because Ive always questioned
exactly how much the 'blog' part of vlogging is as important/central
as its always been painted. I see it all as part of a much longer
history of people & media online. Dont get me wrong, it was/is
important, as is syndication, but the ubiquity of browser-flash-video
playback and previous viral video phenomenon play just as big a role
in something like youtube to my eyes.

Steve Elbows