There is evidence for all of those things, often not a single smoking
gun, but plenty all the same. And I concede that there is obviously
some indication of how some net providers would like to behave in
future.

What I am suggesting is that Ive yet to see a decent explanation of
just why the indy video producer, or the person that wants to watch,
need to be crushed in order for corporations to reap large profits.

Im quite sure they can go about putting big media content on the net
in various ways, without needing to hamper others in order to be
sucessful.

Any signs that coprorations, or governments for that matter, see the
people as 'the enemy' needs to be balanced witht he fact that they
derive their power and profit from people. If they fear people, its
because they need people, and whilst they often get away with going
too far, there are limits.

Its not that I trust all will be well in future, or that everyone has
our best interests at heart, its that I dont believe that crying wolf
now is good. If there were an actual vlogging movement that had a
leader, would you want him or her going on talkshows and telling the
world how the little guy is being crushed? That would make me groan
and whilst it may stirr a minority to the cause, would it not cause
the masses to write that movement off as paranoid?

Cheers

Steve Elbows
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Please show me the evidence that Big Oil and the Big 3 were
creating
> an exponential profit situation with the stubborn refusal on CAFE
> standards and greenwashing of Global Warming.
>
> Please show me the evidence that Big Media was creating a
> oligopolistic market with their sponsorship of politicians and
> legislation.
>
> Please show me the evidence that Big Insurance was creating a
medical
> system that trades profit for people's health.
>
> Please show me the evidence that Big Power has been stymying
> renewable energy.
>
> It's not easy to find that evidence, Steve, although I bet you'd
> agree that all of those things were happening.
>
> I'm not talking about some nefarious plot against vloggers.
>
> I'm talking about control over markets and the flow of information
> and a profit motivated quid pro quo between like institutions.
It's
> just business.
>
> Cable companies want more profit. Big media will pay more for
> transmission of content than independent producers will. Look at
the
> TV market - it's dying. People are moving to the internet for
media.
> Right now they're accessing free content, or content that does not
> move ad revenue to the establishment media.
>
> If you don't think that issue is being worked on, and that big
> players are not trying to win more marketshare, I think you're
crazy.

> The best way to gain control over a market is to use your
strategic
> advantages. In this case, I'm suggesting that the strategic
advantage
> that is being leveraged is money. They are competing with
independent
> content creators who have no capital assets. influxxmedia can't
> afford (probably can but is not willing to) to pay a few hundred
> bucks to have a website coded. I can't afford a decent boom mic.
I'm
> sure this list is saturated with people that are in a similar boat.
>
> It's simply good business to raise the barrier of entry into the
market.

> This is not quite the argument that the Comcast situation is
bringing
> up, but it is closely related. Content like ours will be capped
and
> managed, and there will be a new web based cable media
subscription
> service that will exist outside of the caps.
>
> I've had this argument before on other topics, and the evidentiary
> request has been thrown at me before. Take Iraq, for instance...
> October 2001, I made the argument that we would be going into
Iraq,
> [...]
over
> the flow of information. How could I get that information?
>
> I make my argument based on the fact that they've monetized the
> distribution of information. That's their business. Comcast will
do
> everything in their power to distribute in information that
creates
> the most profit, plain and simple. Sony will pay more to have
their
> content distributed than we will. Consumers will pay more for
> Spiderman than for the Batman Geek.
>
> It's just business.
>
> Cheers,
> Ron Watson
> http://k9disc.blip.tv
> http://k9disc.com
> http://discdogradio.com
> http://pawsitivevybe.com
>

> On Feb 10, 2008, at 7:56 AM, Steve Watkins wrote:
>
> > Nah, they want to make money all right, but nobody has been able
> > explain to me how
> > shutting out indie content is going to improve their ability to
> > make money.
> >
> > How am I supposed to treat that argument with credibility unless
> > there are actual
> > examples of indie producers being forced out of the game by
these
> > dastardly fiends?
> >
> > Please lets not kid ourselves about what all the peer2peer
traffic
> > is currently being used
> > for. Its not indie content, its established mainstream content
> > being redistributed without
> > permission.
> >
> > And certainly ehre in the UK, when large companies try to use
> > peer2peer to delier their
> > content legitimately, the ISPs are just as annoyed by them, they
> > use their finite bandwidth
> > up, they want a cut, but if its free their is no cut to take.
> >
> > I do believe it likely that in future there may be some ISPs who
> > offer some video services
> > that are exempt from the users bandwidth quota, and wil
therefore
> > make the playingfield
> > unfair. But even witht he most draconian bandwidth limitations,
> > theres still capacity for
> > users to download a hell of a lot of vlogs, and no sign that the
> > measly upload bandwidth
> > required to send them to a video host, is going to be whisked
away
> > from under the feet of
> > indie producers.
> >
> > Show me one shred of evidence that mass media wants to create a
> > nightmare distopia in
> > the world in order to keep the masses watching its content? Why
> > would it need to, it can
> > play on its existing great strength, the domination of promotion
> > and public awareness
> > about what content exists, the ability to throw silly money at
> > creators. Yes their scale
> > means they can talk to and deal with the large
telecoms/broadband
> [...]
> >
> > Steve Elbows
> > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Ron Watson <k9disc@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I disagree with Tim's allegory and your assessment, Steve.
> > >
> > > These guys built their empire promising us exactly what we have
> > > today: "Every man a publisher. Every man a Netowork."
> > >
> > > It was the bone they threw the public and elected officials to
get
> > > relaxed regulation, re-regulation in their interests and
support for
> > > their projects. Now they plan on delivering THEIR approved HD
> > > content, THEIR telephony and THEIR approved high speed data.
> > >
> > > It's a classic bait and switch: Give me this and I'll give you
that.
> > > We give them this and they renege.
> > >
> > > This isn't about delivering content, it's about controlling
access.
> > > This isn't about reducing or managing bandwidth, it's about
> > > controlling and restricting it.
> > >
> > > They are going to price us out of the game and take money from
big
> > > corporate media to deliver their HUGE bandwidth content which
dwarfs
> > > ours.
> > >
> > > It's as simple as that.
> > >
> > > Instead of the government mandated grocery story:
> > >
> > > Comcast asked for relaxed regulation, actually they paid lots of
> > > money to sponsor think tanks, politicians and legislation that
gave
> > > them the power they have today. In return they'd give us
cheaper and
> > > greater access and more freedom. That was their argument.
> > >
> > > Comcast is busting into telephony as they strive to shut our
ability
> > > to use VOIP.
> > > They're going to use torrents to deliver THEIR HD Content as
they
> > > shut down torrent users.
> > > They're going to exponentially increase the throughput of
> > information
> > > as they cry that they're all tapped out.
> > >
> > > They're sick and tired of people like us sharing things, and
working
> > > for peanuts in THEIR market. Information sharing and small
time
> > media
> > > creators are stealing their profit. We are wasting their market
> > > resources and costing them profit. Death by a thousand paper
cuts.

> > > If they wanted more bandwidth, they'd ask government to invest
in
> > > their infrastructure. They'd ask for help. They don't want
help,
> > they
> > > don't want more bandwidth. They want control. Plain and simple.
> > >
> > > This reality that we experience right now is exactly what they
> > > offered in the negotiation to get what they wanted. They are
> > reneging
> > > on that right now.
> > >
> > > Don't be fooled. This is a scam. They are dishonest brokers.
They
> > cry
> > > that they're being taken advantage of as they seek to take
advantage
> > > of us...again.
> > >
> > > Isn't $50 a month from hundreds of millions of customers enough?
> > >
> > > Ron Watson
> > > http://k9disc.blip.tv
> > > http://k9disc.com
> > > http://discdogradio.com