>  Indeed they should. But most markets tend to settle down to a small number
> of companies, although never just one.

you got to be joking me.
Think the early part of the 20th century before anti-trust laws.
The Free Market created near-monopolies in almost every sector.
Hollywood, Steel, Oil, Rubber.....
Without any market regulation, a rich man (usually always men) can do
anything they want.
a free market does not mean competition.

>  What's outrageous? That companies should be able to shoot themselves in the
>  foot if they choose?
>  Here's the situation: Broadband providers are now artificial monopolies,
> due to  legislation. Now we bemoan the problems inherent in the nature of a
> monopoly,  and have two solutions before us. We can remove their monopoly
> status. Or
we  can add still more legislative engineering on top, in order to attempt to
>  create a monopoly that doesn't stink like a monopoly. Sort of like a fat-free
>  oil, or calorie-free sweetener, we want to tamper with nature. (Then we
> find   out saccharin makes people gain weight.)
>  I don't think our economic and legislative skills are up to the task. The
> fact  that the current crisis is of OUR OWN DOING indicates our inability to
>  successfully tamper with markets.
>  Make no mistake, economy is like ecology. It is a naturally occurring
>  phenomenon, whose principles were discovered and researched by scientists.
> It is not a machine designed by a team of engineers.
>  I find something very suburban in this denial of nature.

i hear you Charles.
I dont agree that we cant work as a society.
Legislation evolves with the time.
Any problems occur usually because commercial interests write their
own legislation (think Prescription Drugs bill that the Republicans
passed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_Prescription_Drug%2C_Improvement%2C_and_Modernization_Act)

Tell me where this dream of freedom is being lived where there are no
need for laws and people live together in common sense.
im there.

jay

--
http://jaydedman.com