An externality can be thought of as a "side effect".  The basic principle
of market economics is that the costs of the production and consumption of
a good are reflected in the price paid.  This is generally called a "price
signal", and it's why free and frictionless markets are so good at moving
to equilibrium.

The problem, however, is that externalities are generally things that fly
under our radars.  For example, for a very long time, all forms of air
pollution went without any regulation or oversight.  In essence, it was
"free" to belch soot into the air.  Eventually, this created both public
health and environmental issues.  Because the human cost of the pollution
was never placed into the cost of making the goods/energy that produced
the pollution, people were effectively paying too little for their goods,
and the result was that an excess of pollution ended up having a cost in
other ways.

A core belief in the right to unregulated commerce is that "if I sell it
and someone buys it, it's our right to do", but if the service or
production of the good has an effect on third parties, then the
libertarian notion of not forcing others is broken and requires attention.

This, for many of us, is the argument for regulation, oversight, and the
general existence of the democratic state.

--
Rhett.
http://www.weatherlight.com/greentime