> Absolutely not.  When steel and oil were "monopolies", did people pay
> $500,000
> per ingot or barrel? Companies are always restricted by the marketplace
> unless
> they have government protection.  Even a monopoly cannot charge infinite
> prices
> because there are always alternatives at hand.

True, but even in the intro to economics class at business school, it's
demonstrated that, in a monopoly market, the price and quantity produced
are based entirely on the monopolist's ability to maximize price as a
price setter.  Without effective competition, utility is not maximized on
the demand-side.  This is an inefficiency.  You can easily see this
demonstrated in recent history with the Bell System.

> I'm not suggesting no law at all.  I'm suggesting no laws that violate
> human
> rights.  If somebody wants to sell their service, and somebody else wants
> pay for it, prohibition should be out of the question. Basic human
> dignity,
> which somehow gets lost in the abstract utopian rhetoric.

The problem I see here is externalities.  If the costs of externalities
were baked into every transaction, this would be true.  All too often,
it's not.

--
Rhett.
http://www.weatherlight.com/greentime