--- In [email protected], Rupert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 
> But vPIP doesn't insert rel="enclosure" into *anybody's* video  
> links.  But other people using vPIP get their files turned into  
> enclosures anyway, despite the lack of rel="enclosure".  You, for  
> example - and Verdi.  Feedburner sniffs out your mov files by itself.

My feed has enclosures. At least, it does when I check it. And I don't
use vPIP at hummingcrow.com, I use PodPress. Thought I'm about to
switch again to something else.

> 
> So why not John?  His feed validates OK, but Feedburner's Podmedic  
> says it can't find anything to make into enclosures.

Since WordPress 1.5, if you had a media file linked anywhere in the
post, WordPress would add enclosures around it for the feed. But with
a catch. It only detected the first linked media file, and it had to
be an absolute, not relative, URL or WordPress ignored it. And
sometimes you had to modify your .htaccess file to get your server to
recognize certain file types. Here's the doc on that:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Podcasting

> He's not doing anything fancy - just using exactly the same settings  
> that were set up for him last year.  Putting the video files into the  
> vPIP control panel on WP 2.3
> 
> It seems to me that the problem's not with Feedburner.  It's  
> something to do with the way that vPIP is outputting the links.  And  
> why is there no rel="enclosure" in vPIP links? Is that an oversight?

Enric would have to answer regarding vPIP. I could be completely
mistaken, but my own understanding is that vPIP just makes use of
WordPress' own feed functionality. In other words, if WordPress fails
to create the enclosures, vPIP's not going to add them for you. I hope
someone will correct me if I have the wrong impression on that score.

The last time I set up a site planning to use vPIP I was using
WordPress 2.3.3 & vPIP 0.13g. I took notes on every step of the set-up
because I was scripting a screencast on how to activate plugins and
customize them. Before activating vPIP I linked to a video file and
tested my WordPress feed - it made an enclosure for it. After
activating vPIP and using it to make two test posts, I checked my feed
again and the enclosures were gone. Deactivating vPIP made them come back.

I set up a second test site with the exact same configuration and a
new database, did the same steps again, and didn't have the enclosure
problem upon activating vPIP - they were there. I went back to the
original site and reactivated vPIP and the enclosures stayed, so I
decided not to worry about it. But I never got a satisfactory answer
to why this happened on one site and not another. It seemed totally
random.

I don't really have advice or a fix except to upgrade to the latest
versions of WordPress and vPIP and keep your fingers crossed.

My own solution is to switch over to the Podcasting plugin written
during 2007 Google summer of code. It now supports video and includes
the JW FLV Player. It needs a couple feature additions to make it
really rock, but it will suffice for what I want and it does a better
job of keeping up appearances in iTunes than vPIP does, so I won't
need to run anything through Feedburner for that purpose any longer.

Cheryl



Reply via email to