It's funny I didn't even notice the ad's DURING the interview just
the one's before and after....I was too distracked by the blonde to
notice the overlays..  ;)

Another thing that is funny for me, is that I have always been in
the "ad's arn't so bad" camp....I know it's still the model and for
the most part I don't mind them, I ingnore most of them actually...so
for me to say "ads are wrong here" is to me a bit funny in
itself....I really do think it's because I know Jay and Ryanne and
knowing what "could" have happened and to be honest what
could "still" happen....cause I am sure their names are on some list
now in China....

Heath
http://batmangeek.com
http://heathparks.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Cammack"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, like I said, I agree with you entirely.  I was "shocked"
enough
> just reading the twitter or link here or whatever that informed me
> that they had been over there AT ALL.  I thought they were in the
> sticks somewhere making bread and not using plastic.  When I read
the
> link, I was like "THEY could have been caught up in it TOO? :O".
>
> So, yeah, when I went to the video, it had extra import, gloom and
> doom for me because at the time they recorded it, they still could
> have gotten busted.  Ads, of course, are going to pull me out of
that
> feeling, so they're certainly unwanted... as far as the "art" of the
> piece.
>
> As far as what kind of ads they might have served on it, that's an
> interesting point.  Unless boingboing does a consistently "gloom and
> doom" category of videos, there's no reason for them to have
> specifically targeted videos to specific videos.  Like, there's no
> reason that their audience watching THIS video would have been
> different from the audience that watches the rest of their videos,
> whatever they're about.  So while I agree that the ads could have
been
> more in tune with the mood of the individual video, at this point, I
> don't think it's feasible to tell an advertiser "We're going to do
one
> solemn video out of 100, maybe... so pay us to advertise your
product
> once in a blue moon".
>
> Bill Cammack
> http://billcammack.com
>
> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Heath" <heathparks@> wrote:
> >
> > Oh indeed I do know that is the nature of the "biz" but I can't
help
> > but think, maybe an ad for not smoking or maybe a company that is
> > doing "green" or social things, etc...maybe that would have been
> > better fit than the ad that was on there...again I know the
realility
> > but for me this was the first time it really hit me...maybe it's
> > because I know Jay and Ryanne, I don't know...but...
> >
> > Heath
> > http://batmangeek.com
> > http://heathparks.com
> >
> > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Cammack"
> > <billcammack@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I hear what you're saying, but bills have to be paid.  I don't
know
> > > anything about boingboing, so I can't speak for them
specifically,
> > but
> > > that's the game that's being played here.  Get people to click
on
> > your
> > > video, get people to click on your ads, get revenue to pay
people's
> > > salaries.  There's nothing else going on here.
> > >
> > > It's like when you make a Ning community. You can make it for
free
> > if
> > > you leave the google ads on your site and lose the use of an
entire
> > > sidebar... or you can pay Ning to make it worth their while to
ditch
> > > the ads and let you use the sidebar.  Lots of people choose to
make
> > > free Ning sites and lots of people choose to watch free
boingboing
> > > videos with whatever ads you saw on them.
> > >
> > > I know you know this already and were just stating facts, :)
and I
> > > agree with you for the most part.  The thing that SUCKS for me
with
> > > overlay ads is that you don't know when they're going to come
up, so
> > > as the content creator, when you go to font someone in THE
LOWER 3RD
> > > OF THE SCREEN, some bullshit ad comes up over your title and the
> > > effect you were creating as art is completely lost.  If that's
the
> > > only time you mention someone's name/title in the piece, people
are
> > in
> > > the dark the whole time.
> > >
> > > Also, like you said, overlay ads of ANY kind destroy immersion,
but
> > > like I said, it's about making your money back, not making art
that
> > is
> > > poignant and has the desired effect on the viewer that the
artist
> > > (content creator) intended.
> > >
> > > Removing ads would defeat the purpose of doing the videos in
the
> > first
> > > place. (Again, having nothing specifically to do with
boingboing)

> > > Bill Cammack
> > > http://billcammack.com
> > >
> > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Heath" <heathparks@>