--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Heath" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's funny I didn't even notice the ad's DURING the interview just
> the one's before and after....I was too distracked by the blonde to
> notice the overlays..  ;)

That was my fault for ASSUMING you meant mid-roll overlay ads.  I'm
not aware that boingboing even USES those.  I didn't mean to imply
that there were any overlay ads on the Jay/Ryanne video at all.

> Another thing that is funny for me, is that I have always been in
> the "ad's arn't so bad" camp....I know it's still the model and for
> the most part I don't mind them, I ingnore most of them actually...so
> for me to say "ads are wrong here" is to me a bit funny in
> itself....I really do think it's because I know Jay and Ryanne and
> knowing what "could" have happened and to be honest what
> could "still" happen....cause I am sure their names are on some list
> now in China....
>
> Heath
> http://batmangeek.com
> http://heathparks.com

That's the whole thing.  "Ads aren't so bad" because the content
people are watching has no depth to it.  This was a video done by
people that a lot of us have hung out with in person and understand
their mannerisms.  They were visibly "shook" in that video.  It was
compelling to watch and listen to them, ESPECIALLY since I didn't even
know they had gone over there, so I got to watch it in the context of
"They didn't know if they were going to get out of China clean, AND
they hadn't heard from Brian & Jeff for three days".  Just COMPELLING
is the word, and it amplifies the contrast against the advertisements.

As far as Rupert's suggestion of several versions of a commercial,
you're asking the company to deal with three different
music/dialogue/fx mixes (which is probably negligible for a couple of
seconds worth of commercial), and you're also asking for human
intervention when it comes to what version of the ad to run on which
video.  Most likely, they have an automated ad server and you're
talking about added expenses without related ROI.

I agree with the idea, as far as attempting to maintain the integrity
of the art, but like I said, it's not about the art.  It's about hits
and ad sales.  By the time you press play, they've already got you.

Bill Cammack
http://billcammack.com