> And I just don't understand why the most popular video sharing site,
> potentially a place with great positive impact and opportunity, should
> allow itself to be turned into a big pile of shit.
> Is it any wonder Google can't make any money from YouTube
> advertising? Who wants to advertise their product next to all that?
> Google should get with the program and crack down.

I had that same thought last week.
Youtube has continued to innovate for the past 3 years, adding a lot
of cool new features. Throughout their history, they've always been
able to handle the traffic with zero choking. Also, their player
consistently works on every computer/browser/connection variation Ive
seen.

But why can't they figure out how to develop a strong positive
community? I can't remember the last time Youtube has mentioned any
new features or best practices when it comes to handling comments. And
all the fucked-up comments are what anyone ever talks about when it
comes to their site. "It's a great video site but the commenters
suck."

Ive always felt that a community follows the lead of the site's
creators/managers. Think of Twitter. Evan Williams has a strong,
public voice when it comes to his vision of how people should
interact. He and his team get involved in situations that concern how
people interact. I'm not a fan of Facebook, but at least Mark
Zuckerberg is the guy who makes the decisions when the community
protests. But then you have Youtube which has always been faceless.
It's just the place where everyone goes to upload videos.

I'm a fan of positive examples versus laying down restrictions. But I
got a feeling Youtube, like most of google, is more about giving
people enough rope to hang themselves. Or I guess do something really
amazing. They dont seem interested in directing people on how to
behave.

Gena, that really sucks about the stalker. I know Ryanne has had times
when she's been hesitant to put herself out there because of shitty
anonymous attacks. Doesn't make it any easier for women online.

Jay



-- 
http://ryanishungry.com
http://jaydedman.com
http://twitter.com/jaydedman
917 371 6790

Reply via email to