Sigh. The level of misunderstanding by some filmmakers is distressing.
I am not sure where to start on this one, but I think sending them a
copy of the "face to face" teaching exemption would help. However it
seems that their problem is that they don't understand the basics
standard VHS/DVD circulation. Do they think WB, MGM etc charge
libraries or video stores more for titles that circulate repeatedly?

I do assume they are the sole source for the film, in which case they
can in fact make up their own rules, bu they seem sincere in not
really understanding copyright law so give it a try.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 1:56 PM, jwoo <j...@cca.edu> wrote:
> This filmmaker wants to know why I don't need PPR for videos purchased for
> my library (where they are only loaned to individuals, watched in the
> library by single viewers, or in on-campus classrooms).  Is the ALA Library
> Fact Sheet 7 the best explanation for the unenlightened?  Thanks - Janice
>
> Begin forwarded message:

> Date: September 11, 2011 9:39:37 PM PDT
> To: jwoo <j...@cca.edu>
> Subject: Re:  DVD
>
> Hi Janice,
> My understanding is that Performance Rights are required for an institution
> that lends repeatedly.  Can you please explain how your library is exempt?
>  Once I understand, I'd be very open to discussing the Individual rate.
> Thank you,
> T-----
>
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 12:29 PM, jwoo <j...@cca.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Dear -----,
>> Thank you for your offer, but $150 is too much to pay for a 20-minute DVD.
>>  My library does not need Public Performance Rights, so I would be willing
>> to purchase it for $50. Let me know if this is possible.
>> Thanks,
>> Janice Woo, Director of Libraries
>> California College of the Arts
>> 5212 Broadway Oakland CA 94618