Morning,

I like to think that all distributors realize that they have an obligation to
their filmmakers to promote the films that they acquire to the benefit of the
filmmaker. I joke that here at Kino Lorber Edu and Alive Mind Cinema we are
running the equivalent of an orphanage for docs: the filmmakers call me, tell
me about their beloved and gifted child, and want to know if I am willing to
nurture it through its adolescent years and supply quarterly updates regarding
its progress. Juno help us all if it brings home less than an A! Then I get the
dreaded parent-teacher conference call. Needless to say, it makes a distributor
selective when acquiring films.

Distribution at its best is a partnership with a filmmaker that expands the
audience and increases revenue. The distributor should, in addition to an
extensive network and established pipeline, advise their filmmakers regarding
the best path and use of resources for a film's release. I spend an inordinate
amount of time discouraging filmmakers from a 'Theatrical' releases, i.e. a
week in NYC, which frequently cost more than it generates, both in terms of
revenue or critical buzz. I advise my filmmakers to consider alternate paths to
reach their audience, and this usually entails a Community Screening campaign
with targeted outreach to their organic audience. This can include screenings
at venues such as The Rubin Museum in NYC, the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
in SF, MoMA, and frequently, the local library. On behalf of our filmmakers,
who in the spirit of a partnership, receive half of all proceeds, we ask for a
Public Performance Rights license for any public exhibition, whether or not
admission is charged. Without the support of the organizations such as those I
named above and local libraries across America, many indie films would sink to
the bottom of the proverbial sea, never to be seen or discussed.

I believe that most established distributors, I am thinking here about WMM,
First Run, Cinema Guild, see their role in today's world where DIY is an
alternative as a partner who brings more to the table in regards to resources
and knowledge than we take away. That means advising our filmmakers regarding
the best release path to reach their audience and generate revenue. To generate
revenue, we must ask for fees on behalf of our filmmakers, if we don't, not
only will many long-standing and reputable distributors go out of business, but
filmmakers will suffer as well.

Because, if a filmmaker makes a film but nobody knows about it, is it not like
the proverbial tree that falls in the forest that nobody hears?

Best,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Sheldon
Vice President