Debra,
I, too, dislike having to ask departments to contribute funds to a purchase, but I do so under these circumstances: single title applicable primarily to one discipline, =/>$500; series (regardless of # of titles) applicable primarily to one department, =/>$750. I also dislike purchasing only one or two titles out of a finite series, so I try to purchase the whole set, if possible. Understandably, it is getting more difficulty to do so with budget cuts. If a single title or series is truly multi-disciplinary, I do not ask for contributions to help cover the cost. I don't know how this would work in your situation, because our Media Library budget is separate from the main library's budget, so I don't have to be concerned about dipping into other disciplines' "buckets" to cover a purchase.

If the only way the Media Library can purchase a title for the collection is with PPR, then we do so if the cost falls below the thresholds described above or we get cost sharing. We prefer buying titles without PPR, if possible. This is a significant change from our prior purchasing guidelines because our use of media has changed and our budget is smaller. When we purchase a title without PPR, the department, organization, individual, etc.is then responsible to purchase PPR if they need it for their specific uses. We will help facilitate the PPR purchase, but do not pay for it. Also, if we do have to purchase PPR when we acquire a title, we do not purchase additional licenses that may be needed for uses outside the original PPR license. For instance, if the original PPR license covers non-paying audiences up to 50, and the campus user is charging admission and/or is anticipating an audience greater than 50, then I will assist in initiating and arranging for a PPR license, but will not pay for it.
Hope this is not too muddled to be useful,
Gail