Dear Colleagues,

I would appreciate if anyone could send me sample policies or collection
development excerpts which deal specifically with:

 1.  Responding to purchases for single titles from one faculty member over
$xxx amount (what amount??
 2.  Requests for titles that are part of a one-time series (Humanities Dept.,
Language, special symposium, etc.) How many titles, what amount??
 3.  Policies that covers whose responsibility it is to obtain and pay for
public performance rights

For example, I recently had a request from one faculty member who wanted the
library to purchase a DVD for $650 because she was inviting the filmmaker to
her class and wanted to show his film.  She was not opening this up to a wider
audience.  Rental was about $395.  The dept. had no funds to kick in.  The
library will not cover either cost. I had to say no. The distributor would not
negotiate.

There have been several requests for film series, more than 6 titles.  Neither
dept. was willing to kick in funds.

We do not have one media budget—selectors order films from their subject areas,
along with books. Our budget have been drastically cut due to the current
climate, increase of e-materials and other steadily climbing resources.
Oftentimes, I will reach out to other librarians to share in the cost of one
title, but sometimes I get no feedback.

Without a policy, librarians are having a difficult time deciding where to draw
the line.  I hate to arbitrarily decide on a price, particularly if the film is
outstanding, is interdisciplinary. and comes bundled with PPR, so I thought I
would ask you what you are doing. How do you negotiate, say that depts. must
kick in ---&age for special events, expensive titles.

I have been a media librarian for 100 years, and lately I have felt guilty
saying no. The reality is just getting harder.

Debra

Debra H. Mandel,
Head, Digital Media Design Studio
Northeastern University Libraries