Here at St. Francis, the CD cases and their discs are on open shelves.
Our collection is primarily classical also, although most items have
been added through very generous donations rather than library
purchases.  There has been no noticeable theft.

For the DVDs, on the other hand, we only keep the cases on open
shelves.  All of the discs are kept in a cabinet behind the Circulation
Desk.  I suppose we have felt the need to protect these more because we
have had to pay real money for them, they are used more, and they tend
to cost more.  Really, if a faculty member needed a DVD and it was not
there, it would not be pretty.  ;)

Hope this helps,

Gail Gawlik
Head of Technical Services
Brown Library
University of St. Francis
Joliet, IL

>>> "Moshiri, Farhad" <mosh...@uiwtx.edu> 8/16/2012 8:40 AM >>>

Dear all,

Are any one of you working in an academic library with open shelves for
AV materials(DVDs/CDs) that are not secured with either locked cases or
security layers attached to the discs? I’m talking about
educational/documentaries not feature films. Have you lost items in this
situation? In what rate (how many per year)? My boss is asking me if it
is worthed to secure the whole collection if the cost of replacing a few
lost items per year can do the job instead. Almost all our CDs are
Classical music. Few classic Jazz CDs and some world music. No popular
music. Should I secure them? Thanks.

Farhad Moshiri
Audiovisual Librarian
University of the Incarnate Word
San Antonio, TX

This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential or
contain privileged information and are intended solely for the use of
the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient, please be advised that you have received this email
in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this email in error, please immediately delete the email
and any attachments from your system and notify the sender. Any other
use of this e-mail is prohibited. Thank you for your compliance.