We put all our DVD is in the locked cases.   A thief figured out how to break
into the cases and stole about ten DVD’s from us before we realized what was
happening.  The thief took the DVD’s and put the cases back on the shelves.
Like St. Francis, we have moved to the empty cases on the shelf and discs
behind the Circulation Desk.  Locked cases are not a guarantee against theft if
somebody really wants the DVD.

I worry more about the replacement cost of the DVDs for educational films.
Some of the documentaries we have cost over $200.00.  Our budget could not
stand replacing five or more a year.  Patrons might not steal them for
entertainment purposes, but they have walked off with them.

Eileen Karsten
Head of Technical Services
Lake Forest College
kars...@lakeforest.edu