Here at the inner city (Providence) campus of the Community College of Rhode
Island we have 2700+ DVDs and videos - both documentaries and feature films. We
also have a collection of about 350 music CDs - jazz, classical, blues/folk,
and world music. All our AV materials are on open shelves. We have had very
little theft. AV materials circulate for a week at a time and can be renewed,
so there's not much reason to steal the material. We also circulate our AV
materials to the entire Rhode Island HELIN (Higher Education Library
Information Network) consortium, which includes Brown, Bryant University,
Johnson & Wales University,  Providence College, Rhode Island College, Roger
Williams University, Salve Regina University, the University of Rhode Island,
and Wheaton College.

While theft is not a big problem, it's sometimes a problem getting folks to
return the material on time. At least when it's checked out, we have a record
in the database and can bill for late material. (About 4 years ago we had a
student check out 40 DVDs over the course of a week or so (we had no limit on
borrowing), and he never returned them. A number of them showed up for sale on
the street, and were returned to us by folks who had bought them. Of course, we
billed the student and put holds on his records at the registrar's office, but
he has never returned to school, so we'll never see the rest of those films
again. However, they were all properly checked out to him and not stolen off
the shelves.)

When we began collecting AV material, we bought 3-M tattle strips, but when we
ran out we did not buy more. They were unnecessary and expensive.

Dusty Haller

Dorcas Haller
Librarian/Professor/Department Chair
Community College of Rhode Island Library
One Hilton Street, Providence, RI 02905
dhal...@ccri.edu<mailto:dhal...@ccri.edu>
Phone: 401-455-6085