From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:54 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Institutional pricing on Amazon

Is this regular Amazon or an Amazon store? It would really depend on the check
out. Unless they have a sort of  " I have read and agree to these conditions"
box to check which includes a restriction on use it would not be enforceable. I
am sure you have seen posts here from librarians who bought something on Amazon
only to have a filmmaker claim they owned them money because it was for
"institutional use". You can enforce different pricing by a clear contract
agreed to by both sides but just putting it up there is not sufficient. I am
sorry but filmmakers & distributors need to decide A. if they want to sell to
individuals and B. If they do they can't really sell through third parties.
There is nothing in the law about institutions paying more than individuals for
an item. In the past it was kind of understood that many non fiction films
simply did not have an audience or market among individuals and these films
were sold exclusively to institutions  but now people want to have their cake
and eat it too. I would also point out that there is a "window" between the
time a film is sold to institutions and the time it is sold retail so if you
need to use the latest release from Kino, Zeitgeist etc and can't wait 6 months
or more you can buy an institutional copy and you get the PPR rights (more if
you want streaming) if you don't need it that quickly you can wait it out and
buy it at retail for standard circulation and in class use.
Got a link?

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Moshiri, Farhad