On 5/25/07, Yakov Lerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 5/25/07, Yongwei Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 24/05/07, Robert M Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 23 May 2007, fREW wrote:
> > |Someone recently was emailing the list about looking at a small
> > |section of DNA with vim as text and it was a number of gigs.  I think
> > |he ended up using other unix tools (sed and grep I think), but
> > |nontheless, text files can be big too ;-)
> > |
> > |-fREW
> > |

> > A maxim that comes up here is "A lack of imagination doesn't prove
anything."
> > The fact that Condoleeza Rice couldn't imagine the degree of chaos that
would
> > ensue if we invaded Iraq does not prove that Iraq is not currently in chaos!
> >
> > I use vim for _structured_ text files, largely because regular expression
> > search is much more useful than word search when the text is structured.
> > Whether those files are large or not usually depends on whether I'm editing
> > programs (small) or viewing/editing their output (often quite large).  Emacs
> > also provides regular expression search, but I find vim's commands simpler
> > and easier to type--and therefore faster to use.
>
> I do not understand your statements: what's your problem of using
> regular expressions in grep and sed?

I think Robert implied that it takes lot of imagination
to use vim on multi-gigabyte size. I might be wrong.

I don't exactly understand the connection size of one's
imagination and size of the file on which one applies vim.
But the connection is perfectly possible. For example, I never tried to
run vim on anything bigger than 0.5GB and I do indeed have
average or lesser than average imagination.

Hell starting tomorrow, I am going to vim the 2+0.2*day_count sized
files, every day,
It only remains to buy imagine-o-meter, and apply it daily.

Yakov "average-sized imagination" Lerner

You should use that as your standard sig from now on.  Awesome.

-fREW