"Yongwei Wu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 写于 2007-05-24 11:28:06:
> Who really want to edit TEXT files as large as that? I cannot think of
> scenarios other than log files. Maybe Vim does not fit in this role.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Yongwei
> --

Yes it fits in this role, and frankly speaking this was the reason I first
choose Vim. (tail -h might be better for that, but if we want to do search,
we may have to use vi.)

Six years ago I often need to check the logs in the servers of my company
(those are generally HP, DEC and IBM minicomputers with different Unixes
without vim installed), we got more than 30 servers like that and the file
is usually 2GB to 11GB. I open the log file in plain vi and it takes way
too long to open.

One day I happened to compile and installed Vim (it was 5.x or 6.x) on one
of the servers, and found that the Vim opens those file about 10 to 20
times faster than the plain Vi, then I installed Vim on all of our servers
and feel that Vim greatly speeds my work. After that I begin to learn Vim.

So you see, if Vim could not handle Big text files, I would not have know
and using vim now. Vim5 and Vim6 opens big file fast, if anyone opens 3GB
text file for more than 60 seconds, I'll doubt if this is an issue of Vim7
or something wrong with his own configuration.

--
Sincerely, Pan, Shi Zhu. ext: 2606