panshizhu wrote:
Yes, but on all systems, vim script could not take 64-bit
integers

I know that. My proposal is for a new Vim script function:
   islargefile({fname}, {limit})

which would return nonzero if the size of the file is greater
than the 32-bit signed {limit} argument.

Vim could easily handle the 64-bit arithmetic that is available
on several systems, so the proposed islargefile() would
accurately indicate whether the file size was greater than the
specified limit. The limit would be up to 2G - I don't think
there's any need to get cute and allow the caller to pass a
negative value which would then be treated as unsigned.

John