> That use of "lambda" exists in colloquial contemporary French. In the French
> wikipedia, under "Lambda (homonymie), the first title is as follows:
>
> Adjectif
>
>      * Le mot lambda est souvent utilisé comme adjectif pour qualifier une
> entité indéfinie quelconque.
>      * Un utilisateur lambda est une personne qui utilise un système de la
> même manière que la majorité des utilisateurs, sans chercher à exploiter des
> fonctionnalités avancées.
>
> which I translate as:
>
> Adjective
> * The word lambda is often used as an adjective to qualify any undefined
> quantity.

As a native English speaker, I would translate it as any 'indefinite' quantity.

> * A lambda user is a person who uses a system in the same way as the majority
> of the users, not trying to use advanced functionalities.

I think 'ordinary' would suit as a translation of 'lambda' in this context, as
well as in the context you originally used it:

> Or is # just a lambda 'iskeyword' character when it
> applies to a variable?

'Regular' would also suffice.

Another possibility for the 'lambda user' might be a 'naive user'.

Your English is extremely good, Tony. It took quite a few of your posts before
realised it wasn't your native tongue, and even then, I'm not sure it was the
English that gave the game away!

Ben.