On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 03:18:01 +0200, Tony Mechelynck
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hm, yes, sorry. With its dual Germanic and Romance vocabulary heritage,
> English often has two (or more) non-exactly-synonymous equivalents for one
> French word, and it isn't always easy to choose the right one. For instance I
> don't quite grasp the difference between 'freedom' and 'liberty'.

But then many native speakers of English don't grasp the difference
between "its" and "it's" or "there", "their" and "they're". It is
possible to be fluent in no languages at all.

> >> * A lambda user is a person who uses a system in the same way as the
> >> majority
> >> of the users, not trying to use advanced functionalities.
> >
> > I think 'ordinary' would suit as a translation of 'lambda' in this context,
> > as
> > well as in the context you originally used it:

When I see lambda I think of LISP. A lambda person is someone who has
bits that can be substituted as required when you call them.

> As I once heard say: it's easy to speak English at the level a Japanese uses
> it to ask directions in Moscow, but to speak /good/ English is extremely
> difficult for a non-native (and even for some natives, apparently, but this
> is
> a different question).

It depends what languages you already know. A few years ago I was in
Antwerp and several native speakers of Flemish/Dutch said they found
English a laughably easy language to learn, and they certainly spoke
excellent English to me. On the other hand I imagine someone whose
native language was Latin would have terrible trouble with English,
Latin depending on inflection to determine meaning where English uses
word order. That may be why there are so very few Romans in Britain
these days.

--
Matthew Winn