thomas wrote:
> On Dec 6, 5:06 am, Tony Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> thomas wrote:
>> Vim can store the current time -- see ":help reltime()". Store it when the
>> user types in the master password, compare it with the time when a password
>> is
>> needed, and ask the master password again if the time interval is "too long".
>
> Yes, but how do you make sure the interval is ever checked?

by making the check a part of whatever routine you use to supply the stored
password.

> IIRC
> CursorHold[I] events don't get triggered when vim doesn't have the
> focus. And you don't know which value 'updatetime' has. If you check
> only when the password is accessed, somebody could use the :debug
> trick
> even hours/days after you last used the password.

You could add additional checks, e.g. in CursorHold, CursorHoldI and/or
FocusGained autocommands.

> BTW I would really like to see timer events that get triggered even
> when
> vim is in the background. I started writing a kind of PIM plugin but
> stopped at about 80% because I didn't have the time to find a way to
> reliably show alarms in a cross-platform manner. But this is a
> different subject of course.
>
> thomas.

Maybe you could use some external program (such as Unix's "at" or "cron", but
possibly handcrafted to use shorter timespans) to periodically trigger
something in your Vim instance via the |clientserver| feature? IIUC, it could
even be a Vim script running on the "client" Vim, looping forever with a
":sleep" command in the loop, and periodically triggering some effect in the
"server" Vim.

Best regards,
Tony.
--